Friday 19 April 2013

Question One

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


In my Media Studies coursework, I had to make a music video to a song of my choice. The song I chose was 'Go' by Delilah. I did the music video by filming with my friend’s camera and I used one of my friends who I knew was going to be reliable. I thought that using a friend that was going to be reliable was a good idea. I started to plan what song I was going to do at the start of the term and
I did all of the other planning that I had to do between September and before the Christmas half term.
After the Christmas half time I started to film my music video, and after this, I started to edit what I had got. When I started to edit my music video, I realized that I did not have the music that went over the top of it. So what I did when I first went onto the editing suit that the media technician put me onto, I uploaded all of the footage that I had filmed and started to put it in the order that I wanted it to go in. The next day, I brought my memory stick which had my music on, I then had to virus check the memory stick to see whether or not it had any viruses on it. The reason why I had to do this was because if the memory stick did have a virus on it, then there would be a possibility that it could wipe out the whole of the editing suit and lose everyone's work. Once I had virus checked it, I then uploaded the music and placed it on the editing timeline. I then stared to crop and get rid of some of the footage that I had, because it either did not fit to the beat or I had to crop it to make it fit into the beat.





I found out the codes and conventions of music videos that artists had 
already done, such as Delilah- Love You So ,Jessie Ware - Night Light  and Delilah - Inside My Love. I looked at theses to see what the themes and conventions that kept on appearing, this way I would get inspiration for my music video. When I was looking at all of the music 
videos I notices that all of them had a narrative and a performance in it as well. So when I started to film my music video, I made sure that there was a narrative. When I started editing it was hard to make sure that I cut everything to the beat of the song, and that the narrative actually went with the song.   Another code and convention that I found of was that there were two types of forms of music videos, there was the performance side to a music video and also the narrative. Most of the music videos I have given as an example do have a performing side to it. I made sure that the performer in my music video was singing, I felt that this was going to be a vital part of my music video, even though there is not a lot of singing in it and that it is mostly a narrative that is happening I still felt that it would be important for there to be some performance in it.



Cinematography is a big part of the convention in electro/pop and trip hop  music videos, there are a lot of close ups used, for example in the images I have uploaded , they are all close ups of the artist singing, and that is exactly what I have done in my music video.
                                                                                                                                           





Since uploading my music video on 18th April 2013, there has been 100 views on my music video. this is a good way to see that my music video is being viewed by my audience. This also gives the chance for my audience the chance to comment on my music video, and it is another way for them to give me feedback other than social networking sites.




No comments:

Post a Comment